The Sterland Knowledge Base is the source for all your documentation needs.
Refer to the SKB Video below for a brief introduction on how to use the SKB.
Throughout the Sterland Knowledge Base you will notice there are 4 small icons. The following is an explanation of these:
The lock is visible at the top left of the page and indicates that the page is restricted.
If you are trying to link to a page that you are restricted from viewing, it will appear as if the link doesn't work. This generally indicates the page is under construction.
Using the SKB on mobile devices!
You are able to use the Sterland Knowledge Base with mobile devices including an iPhone, iPad or Android device. Refer to Supported Platforms for details of supported mobile devices.
When you view an SKB page on a mobile device, such as an iPhone, iPad or Android device, an optimised version of the page is displayed. The mobile or desktop interface is enabled depending on your device.
- The Mobile version is the preferred view if you are looking to search for content.
- The Desktop version is the preferred view if you are looking to browse content in a Table of Contents format.
You can swap from the mobile view to the desktop view of a page at any time.
1. Choose the menu icon then choose 'Switch to desktop version', or alternately select ‘View Desktop version’ on each page you browse.
2. To switch back to the mobile view, you must clear your browser history, then reload the SKB site.
1. Switch to the Desktop version.
2. From the SKB Home Page (http://skb.sterland.com/), select the Product name or icon. For example, ProStix.
3. Select the Document Type. For example, User Guides.
4. Select the relevant User Guide. For example, Point of Sale.
5. Select 'Tools, then 'View in Heirarchy' or 'Browse', then 'Pages', then 'Tree' to view the procedures in a Table Of Contents format.
6. Select the cross arrow to view the procedures, then select the procedure you wish to view.
7. Select your browser's back arrow to return to the 'List Pages - Tree View' to view other procedures.
1. Tap the menu icon to open the menu panel on the left of the page.
2. Type the text to search for in the 'Search people and content' box. The mobile interface offers the quick navigation search, which returns matches on page title only. (Refer to Searching for further information.). To use the full search, switch to the desktop view.
To search for content via the desktop version, simply use any of the defined 'search' boxes throughout the Sterland Knowledge Base.
About our Product documentation
Sterland provide documentation for the current release of all applications.
Documentation for previous versions is available by request.
About Confluence and Confluence Spaces
Confluence is a wiki used to collaborate, write and share content with your audience, in this case, our Sterland Customers.
A wiki is a piece of software that runs on a server. A wiki publishes web pages via a web browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Microsoft Internet Explorer.
In Confluence and in the SKB, content is organised into logical spaces. A space is an area within Confluence containing web pages and other content. Think of each space as a sub-site, or mini-site, each with its own home page.
Each Sterland product has its own space containing the content for that particular product. For Sterland's larger products such as ProStix, multiple sub-spaces have been created. That is, there is a ProStix Home Page space, a ProStix User Guide sub-space, a ProStix Training Manual sub-space, a ProStix FAQs sub-space, and a ProStix Videos sub-space.
You can view all SKB content via the Home Page (skb.sterland.com), or alternately you can also view the content via the 'Spaces' drop down selection, then selecting 'Space directory'.
Navigating via breadcrumbs
You are able to navigate forwards and backwards throughout the SKB site via clicking the applicable link on the breadcrumbs of each page.
Click on the '...' to show all breadcrumbs.
Viewing procedures in a 'Table Of Contents' format
You are able to view procedures in a Table of Contents format via two options:
1. Referring to the individual User Guide or Training Manual on the left side bar panel, then selecting the cross arrow to view the procedures (If you cannot view the left side bar panel, click the 'Show or hide sidebar' icon above).
2. Refer to the Table Of Contents on the home page of every User Guide and/or Training Manual.
Searching for content within the Sterland Knowledge Base
There are many search boxes used throughout the SKB to enable you to easily view content.
When you use CTRL + F to search within an SKB page, it will not provide results for content within an expandable/collapsible macro (unless the content is expanded on the page).
Searching within the SKB offers a quick navigation aid as well as a full site search. The quick navigation aid automatically offers a dropdown list of pages matched by page title to your search query. You can choose one of the offered items or ignore them altogether. Please note: The quick navigation searches recently visited pages only. Use the full search as required.
- Start typing your query into any of the search boxes. With the quick navigation aid, Confluence matches page titles only as you type, showing a quickly-adjusting dropdown list of pages and attachments etc.
- Press the <Enter> key if you want to bypass the quick navigation aid and perform a full search.
- To see the space to which an item belongs, let your mouse pointer hover over the item in the dropdown list.
- Use the up- and down-arrows on your keyboard to move up and down the list of matching titles and select an item.
- Press the <Enter> key to open the selected item.
- If you do not find what you are looking for, click Search for at the bottom of the list to do a full search. This has the same effect as pressing <Enter> immediately after typing your search query.
- Type your query into any of the search boxes.
- Press the <Enter> key. This means that you will ignore the dropdown list of titles offered by Confluence's quick navigation aid.
- The search screen appears. If any Confluence pages or items match your search query, the search screen shows a list of the matching items.
- Click an item's title to open the Confluence page or other item.
Search for explicit phrases, error messages or codes by enclosing the search phrase within double quotes " ".
To search for content that contains the exact phrase "timber and tally", type: "timber and tally".
- To search for content that contains both the terms "timber" AND "tally", type: "timber AND tally".
- To search for content that contains "timber" but NOT "tally", type: "timber NOT tally".
- To search for words that may contain apostrophes, type the whole word including the apostrophe (for example, "video's") or use the * wildcard. For example, "video*".
All words specified in the search criteria are searched, however you can use the OR (must be capitilised) operator to search for either words or phrases (in quotes). For example, "order" OR "quote".
- For further searching tips, click on the when presented with the SKB Search page.