Description of the Parent Child Data Migration Tool (Part of the Parent Child Module)
In trying to implement the parent/child software, Customers may plan to use their existing product codes as the parent codes and then create linked child codes. Without doing it this way, the product stock on hand will never be accurate while outstanding transactions are being processed. Therefore, a migration tool was required which works through all existing transactions (Sales Orders, Quotes, Purchase Orders) and swaps out the parent code with the relevant child codes.
In doing this we need to ensure all quantities and pricing remains as per the original transaction.
Two utilities have been created:
1. cusupcpld.p to mass update Parent Child Products
2. cusupcprdy.p to update all Open Transactions with new Parent and Child Products and Tallies
For an explanation of each utility & how to run each utility, refer to the below sections/processes:
- Ensure FeaturePCP is enabled in your system
- Set up a file for the audit logs under /prostix/dmp onsite called parentchildlogs. This is required when running the second utility cusupcprdy.p.
Mass Update Parent Child Products (cusupcpld.p)
About the cusupcpld.p Utility
This utility updates / imports the Parent products and their specific Child products. Parent products are flagged as ‘Parent’ as identified by 'Parent Header' = Yes (Product Maintenance - More Data - General Information):
Child products are added/updated for the parent and can be viewed within Product Maintenance - Options - Child Products:
An audit report is generated that lists the products that were uploaded successfully.
Mass updating the Product codes to Parent Child via the cusupcpld.p utility
To mass update Product codes to Parent Child, perform the following:
1. Create a .csv file of the Parent and Child Products to be updated/migrated using this csv format: pcproductlistimport.csv
2. Save the file to /prostix/dmp/<filename>.csv .
The file does not need to have a set file name format.
3. From Prostix, select menu options A-5-6, then run cusupcpld.p to import the .csv file created in Step 1.
4. This prompt for the import filename. Enter the filename, then press <F1> to run it.
5. Two reports are generated from this utilty:
- An audit report is generated for the products successfully imported and updated: /prostix/dmp/audit_pcp_import_*date*.csv
- An error report is generated for all Products that were not succesfully imported: /prostix/dmp/parent_child_import_error.csv
5. Once complete, the utility pops up a completion message, however if errors do occur, you will receive this pop-up message:
This error log file includes a description of the error for each line not imported. Update the Product as required in ProStix, then re-try the import of the Products that failed to import previously.
Update Open Transactions (cusupcprdy.p)
About the cusupcprdy.p Utility
This utility locates any open transactions that are linked to the Parent or Child Products updated during the Mass Update Parent Child Products and updates all Open Sales, Quotes and Purchase Orders where any parent products are currently listed and the timber tally is defined on the order, and then replaces the parent product with the appropriate child product for each length as detailed in the tally. It also updates the stock on hand values of the Child Product/s.
Running the cusupcprdy.p utility
To run this utilty, perform the following:
- From Prostix select menu options A-5-6,then run cusupcprdy.p
2. Press <F1> to run the program.
3. Audit logs are created under /prostix/dmp/parentchildlogs/ . Refer to the table below for a description of the audit logs produced.
Refer to Pre-requisities for setting up the folder on the ProStix server.
List of all Transactions affected by the utility - this includes successful and non-successful transactions with description as to what was updated. There are two main reasons why a Product will not be updated successfully:
a) the Parent Product contains a tally length not defined as a Child Product
b) A product has no defined length or timber tally entry it will fail to update
|Additional Audit Files Generated - these are simply an audit breakdown of the parent products which were modified to child products. This information is also contained in the main pcp_audit.csv file.|
- No labels
Copyright © 2018. Sterland Computing Pty Ltd.